föstudagur, 19. janúar 2007

Poor mother's small heart

We took Sólveig Lilja to the doctor on Wednesday. He sent her for a blood test, which we did yesterday morning. Mother and daughter, unknowing what was going to happen, went there yesterday morning. We arrived maybe 5 past 8 and got #3 from the number machine. Sat down and waited. A few minutes later, the lady started calling up numbers and it was soon our turn. Sólveig Lilja was playing with some building blocks at the time so I stood up and paid and the lady explained that when a little screen displayed our number, we'd go into a room across the corridor. We only had to wait a few minutes before our number came up. We went in and the nurse went to get somebody to assist her which is a standard procedure when they deal with kids. I took Sólveig Lilja's coat and jumper off and sat down with her. Then the nurse put a strap on her arm to check the veins. Checked both arms. Then the other nurse came in and they started the procedure. I don't think I want to describe in details how it was, suffice to say Sólveig Lilja has veins like her mother, tough and difficult to put a needle through. They had to try both arms and of course the child didn't like it. Neither did I. I told Sólveig Lilja not to cry because if she did, I would cry as well and I did so feel her pain. Finally they got enough blood, put plaster on her arms and she got to pick a toy from the prize box that they have there.

During the day she forgot all about this. But last night when I was getting her ready for bed, she saw the band aid and when I pulled it off, she saw the little holes in her arms. She got all cautious and protective. Hopefully she won't have to do that again, well, hopefully I won't have to take any of them for a blood test any time soon.

Sat a time management course yesterday and it was very good. Hopefully I will take advantage of what she told us, otherwise it's useless.

I still have some reading to do for school for this week but I've done my IT-course assignment for the week. Making progress with the math as well but I'll have some stuff to do this weekend. Don't think I'll be able to finish it tonight.

Engin ummæli: